On July 2nd 2009 New Life Counselling was awarded the Independent Counselling for Schools Service (ICSS) contract in our area by the Department of Education in Northern Ireland.
New Life Counselling was established in Belfast in 1993 to respond to the social needs and problems of North Belfast. It now has over 10 years experience of supplying therapeutic counselling in schools.
In St Cecilia’s College pupils will have access to the counselling service in several ways:
- through St Cecilia’s pastoral care system, when a teacher may refer the child on to the counsellor;
- through self referrals made by the child herself
- through requests from parents concerned about their child
Counselling is carried out on a one-to-one basis within the school, in a room dedicated to pastoral care matters. Counselling sessions are voluntary and confidential (unless issues of child protection arise). They may last for a few sessions, or longer.
When counselling is finished, the pupil is sent an evaluation form to complete anonymously and return. All counsellors receive supervision of their work, to ensure the quality of their practice.
The name of our counsellors are:
- Tina Power (available Friday mornings)
- Veronica (available Tuesday mornings)
If you have any questions about this service you can call New Life Counselling on 02890 391630 or contact the school on 02871 281800.